jessiebelle

jessiebelle

The Swan Kingdom

The Swan Kingdom - Zoe Marriott One of my favorite fairy tales is The Six Swans. When I first saw the Swan Kingdom a few years back I was really excited to see a retelling of The Wild Swans (you know, different name, but basically same story). It's too bad this book didn't live up to that excitement. I started the book, and it seemed okay. Until I finished the first chapter in which it was not okay. I felt like chapter one was just an extension of the prologue a, getting to know the character bit, I hated Alexandra's voice, seriously. Just get to the point already. The book isn't that long, but I had to keep putting the book down or I was going to go crazy.On top of the story taking forever and having no point (I ended up just skipping sentences because I couldn't take it anymore), Alexandra is such a dependent character. She doesn't seem to ever grow out of this. Once her brothers are turned into swans (or whatever it is), oh and there's only one surprise there, I guess I'm lucky I didn't skip over that, not that I cared overly much about it, she finds Gabriel to cling to. She's not all that interesting, but he seems to fall in love with her anyway. What? I'm so tired of "plain" girls becoming pretty. Sometimes plain girls stay plain! And pretty girls can be born pretty! On top of which, Alexandra doesn't even realize that she becomes "pretty" it's a complete surprise to her! There's actually more that I can complain about, but it's kind of making me angry to talking about it. I gave it a 2/5 because I finished it.